WashCo BTC's Fall Bike Drive
October 1, 2012
Hillsboro, Ore. - WashCo BTC is in need of bikes. The BTC is gearing up for its holiday Adopt-a-Bike program. This holiday season their goal is to provide a refurbished bike, a new CPSC certified helmet, a lock, and a two-hour bike skills clinic to 50 kids who may not otherwise have a happy holiday. To do WashCo BTC needs good used (or new) bicycles. Volunteers will clean them, lube them, and make all adjustments necessary to be ready for gift giving. Drop off sites are being established now but you can always drop them off at our community bicycle center located in downtown Hillsboro or if you have multiple bikes to donate, we'll have a volunteer pick them up. A tax donation receipt will be given to you.
To learn more about the Adopt-a-Bike program go to www.washcocbc.org/community_home
Here are the drop off locations established so far:
- October 15 to November 15
All Hillsboro Fire Stations will take donated bikes. They ask that the bikes be tagged, "Donation to WashCo BTC."
- Saturday, October 27
8 a.m. to noon, Hillsboro Saturday Market, 3rd and Main. Boy Scouts will be there to collect bikes and issue tax donation receipts.
In other news, meet Cherie Anderson, WashCo BTC's new Membership Coordinator.
Cherie Anderson moved to the Beaverton area over a year ago from Washington. In 1999, she joined Intel working in Dupont, Seattle and now in the Hillsboro area. In 2011 earned a B.S. from Devry University. Cherie is married, has two cute westies and both of her children are grown, leaving her an empty nester. Outside of work, Cherie enjoys reading, photography, camping, biking, and gardening. She is excited to serve as a volunteer with the WashCoBTC.
Meet Monika Dechene, WashCo BTC's new Volunteer Coordinator.
Monika Dechene has a BA in several subjects from Marquette University and has over five years of photography and design experience. She moved to Portland in early 2011 and settled down in Hillsboro later that year. Despite having lived in several different cities in the world and in the United States, she has especially enjoyed living in Oregon for the great access to public transportation and for the state's bike-friendliness. Monika was introduced to the WashCo BTC when she rode in last year's Tour de Parks. The event highlighted the organization's emphasis on volunteerism making a difference on the community at large, and she is very excited to get involved with the WashCo BTC as Volunteer Coordinator for that very reason.
In addition to being volunteer coordinator, Monika will do some writing of press releases, applying for grants, and any other thing WashCo BTC can rope her into helping with.
Membership & Grants
The BTC applies for and receives grants to keep the programs we support active. One of the many questions we have to answer is "what is your membership base" and "has it grown"? We have a membership base of about 100. The BTC has been fortunate in adding several new people this year and we are looking for more. Our rates are reasonable. $25.00 is a single membership. $45.00 is the family rate.
All members receive:
- Free access to tools and work-stands during shop hours
- 10% discount on parts in the shop
- 1 free bike inspection per year
- Invitation to members only celebrations/events (these are fun!)
- Medical Information Carrier Systems ~Emergency contact and medical information inside your helmet
- One free 2-hour clinic on bicycle repair and maintenance held at the center
- Discounts on Smart Cycling® Classes
- Newsletter Updates
You Might Also Like
- Honey Stinger is Newest Sponsor of the Colorado High School Cycling League: Boulder, Colo.— The Colorado High School Cycling League (Colorado League) welcomes Honey Stinger as a new sponsor for 2013. Located in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, Honey Stinger, was founded in 2002 to bring nutritious and great tasting...
- Gates Carbon Drive and White Industries Partner on New Freewheel Sprocket: Denver, Colo. – Gates Carbon Drive has partnered with White Industries to create the CDX Freewheel, a screw-on freewheel sprocket that marries the clean, quiet and strong Gates belt drive system with White’s high performance and...
- Now Hiring: Full-Time State Network Manager for the Safe Routes to School National Partnership: The Safe Routes to School National Partnership (National Partnership) is seeking an energetic and detail-oriented professional with strong policy campaign experience and advocacy skills to join the National Partnership as our State Network...
- Hundreds Unite to Tell Congress that Bicycling Means Business : Washington, D.C. - (March 1, 2013) Last summer, Congress passed a transportation bill that slashed dedicated funding for bicycling projects and programs. But next week, hundreds of bike advocates, industry leaders and cycling enthusiasts will...