Compton and Powers Dominate Day One at Planet Bike Cup
September 24, 2012
Sun Prairie, Wis. - (September 22) — On a day featuring classic cyclocross weather, Katie Compton (Trek World Racing) and Jeremy Powers (Rapha-FOCUS) soloed to victory in front of enthusiastic crowds at Angelll Park Speedway to claim valuable C1 points on the first day of the Planet Bike Cup.
In the Elite women's race, Julie Krasniak (Rapha FOCUS) shot off the line to claim the hole shot. Teammate Gabby Day along with Meredith Miller (Cal Giant Berry Farms) and Caroline Mani had strong starts while eventual winner Katie Compton had a rough go off the line. However, mid-way through the second lap Compton had recovered and pulled clear of the field, quickly opening a large advantage on the rest of the field. For a number of laps teammates Day and Krasniak held off the chase of Georgia Gould (LUNA), Meredith Miller (Cal. Giant Berry) and Kaitlin Antonneau (Cannondale p/b CyclocrossWorld.com). Olympic Bronze medalist Gould surged ahead of Miller and Antonneau, bridging to and passing Day and Kraskniak. This left the battle for third between Day, Krasniak and Miller. As Krasniak faded, Day battled Miller right to the last lap with Day finally pulling clear in the last 500 meters to claim the third step of the podium.
The men's race featured a matchup between the new-style Cannondale p/b CyclocrossWorld.com team of Tim Johnson, Ryan Trebon and Jamey Driscoll versus defending USGP series champion Jeremy Powers (Rapha FOCUS) and teammate Chris Jones. Swiss rider Lukas Fluckiger (Trek World), who dropped a chain and rolled a tire, continuously animated the race lap after lap as he gained and lost places. Eventually Powers rode free of the field and maintained a strong 18-second lead for the remainder of the race while behind him Tim Johnson and Ryan Trebon battled for second until Trebon suffered a flat that knocked him out of podium contention. Chris Jones was third with 2 laps to go while Fluckiger surged back, methodically picking his way back through the field catching and passing Jonathan Page and Ben Berden (Raleigh Clement) and Driscoll to draw even with Jones. With half a lap to go Fluckiger got clear of Jones to finish a strong third.
Women's Top Ten
1. Katie Compton (Trek World)
2. Georgia Gould (LUNA)
3. Gabby Day (Rapha-Focus)
4. Meredith Miller (Cal Giant Berry Farm)
5. Julie Krasniak (Rapha-Focus)
6. Teal Stetson-Lee (LUNA)
7. Kaitlin Antonneau (Cannondale p/b CyclocrossWorld.com)
8. Mical Dyck (Stans No Tubes)
9. Maureen Bruno Roy (Bob's Red Mill)
10. Pepper Harlton (Juventus Cycling Club)
Men's Top Ten
1. Jeremy Powers (Rapha Focus)
2. Tim Johnson (Cannondale p/b CyclocrossWorld.com)
3. Lukas Fluckiger (Trek World)
4. Chris Jones (Rapha Focus)
5. Ben Berden (Raleigh Clement)
6. Ryan Trebon (Cannondale p/b CyclocrossWorld.com)
7. Jonathan Page
8. Jamey Driscoll (Cannondale p/b CyclocrossWorld.com)
9. Brian Matter (RACC p/b GG)
10. Matt Shriver (Trek Cyclocross Collective)
You Might Also Like
- Now Hiring: Full-Time State Network Manager for the Safe Routes to School National Partnership: The Safe Routes to School National Partnership (National Partnership) is seeking an energetic and detail-oriented professional with strong policy campaign experience and advocacy skills to join the National Partnership as our State Network...
- 2013 NAHBS Saturday Award Winners : Denver, Colo. - The North American Handmade Bicycle Show announced the first group of the 2013 NAHBS Awards. The second group will be announced at 3 p.m. Sunday. Saturday's Awards Alchemy Bicycle Co. - Best Carbon Construction No Award given -...
- 2013 NAHBS Sunday Award Winners : Denver, Colo. - The North American Handmade Bicycle Show is pleased to announce the Sunday group of the 2013 NAHBS Awards. The Sunday NAHBS Awards winners are Winter Bicycles - Best Finish Moots - Best Theme Bike and People's Choice Avery County...
- Honey Stinger is Newest Sponsor of the Colorado High School Cycling League: Boulder, Colo.— The Colorado High School Cycling League (Colorado League) welcomes Honey Stinger as a new sponsor for 2013. Located in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, Honey Stinger, was founded in 2002 to bring nutritious and great tasting...