Matt Beer and Casey Brown Take Canadian MTB Downhill Titles
Beer becomes first cyclist from Newfoundland to win a National title.
July 9, 2012
Mont-Sainte-Anne, QC – Matt Beer and Casey Brown are the newest Mountain Bike Downhill Canadian Champions as they both won their respective races at the 2012 Canadian Mountain Bike Downhill Championships in Mont-Sainte-Anne, near Québec city.
On a gorgeous day, Brown stopped the clock at 5:12.016, the fastest time in the Elite women category. Lauren Rosser, the 2010 Junior World Champion, came in second, while former Canadian Champion Micayla Gatto posted the third fastest time to round up the podium.
“It went really good. Pulled it off with the win today. The track conditions were great, and dried up quite a bit so I was able to run with a higher tire pressure,” said Brown who received her first Canadian Champion jersey. “I am gonna go to Crankworx to do a couple of races and then to World Champs.”
In the men’s race, Matt Beer of Newfoundland was the fastest of the day, completing the course in 4:30.267. Beer also takes his first Canadian title.
“It feels pretty good [to be Canadian Downhill Champion]. My run was pretty hectic, so I tried to keep it calm, and pedal lots. The course was super long. Mont-Sainte-Anne is a tough course, and a great venue to host a Canadian Championships,” said Beer.
In winning the title, Beer became the first Newfoundland rider to ever win a Canadian championship title: “No one will get me mixed up with New Brunswick now!”
Kyle Sangers, last year’s Junior Canadian Champions came in second place of the men’s elite race in his first elite race at Canadian Championships, 2.117 seconds behind the winning time.Rob Fraser took the bronze medal.
1. Brown, Casey BC 5:12.016
2. Rosser, Lauren BC +0:04.481
3. Gatto, Micayla BC +0:05.705
4. Verbeeck, Vaea QC +0:09.999
5. Miller, Miranda BC +0:11.050
1. Beer, Matthew NL 4:30.267
2. Sangers, Kyle ON +0:02.117
3. Fraser, Rob ON +0:03.295
4. Gauvin, Remi BC +0:03.680
5. Allison, Tyler BC +0:05.984
You Might Also Like
- 2013 NAHBS Saturday Award Winners : Denver, Colo. - The North American Handmade Bicycle Show announced the first group of the 2013 NAHBS Awards. The second group will be announced at 3 p.m. Sunday. Saturday's Awards Alchemy Bicycle Co. - Best Carbon Construction No Award given -...
- Now Hiring: Full-Time State Network Manager for the Safe Routes to School National Partnership: The Safe Routes to School National Partnership (National Partnership) is seeking an energetic and detail-oriented professional with strong policy campaign experience and advocacy skills to join the National Partnership as our State Network...
- Honey Stinger is Newest Sponsor of the Colorado High School Cycling League: Boulder, Colo.— The Colorado High School Cycling League (Colorado League) welcomes Honey Stinger as a new sponsor for 2013. Located in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, Honey Stinger, was founded in 2002 to bring nutritious and great tasting...
- 2013 NAHBS Sunday Award Winners : Denver, Colo. - The North American Handmade Bicycle Show is pleased to announce the Sunday group of the 2013 NAHBS Awards. The Sunday NAHBS Awards winners are Winter Bicycles - Best Finish Moots - Best Theme Bike and People's Choice Avery County...