Team AutoLITT to Raise Funds to Support Brain Cancer Treatment Technology
Join Orica-GreenEdge rider Christian Meier, Wedgewood Hotel & Spa, Wedgewood Cycling Team and friends in raising money for the BC Cancer Foundation.
June 8, 2012
Vancouver, BC - Three years ago, Michael Meier lost his battle with brain cancer. His brother Christian of Orica-GreenEdge, then riding with Garmin-Transitions, was racing the Vuelta a España when he received the news.
“My brother was a young healthy guy who just woke up one morning with a headache,” explained Christian. “Six months later, after a short and very intense battle with a brain tumor, he passed away six days shy of his 26th birthday.”
Christian now rides in Michael’s memory as a supporter of the BC Cancer Foundation and the captain of Team AutoLITT with the goal of raising $350,000 to buy a new piece of technology that promises to advance the treatment of brain tumours. AutoLITT is earmarked for the BC Cancer Agency in Vancouver and will be the first site in Canada to treat patients with the advanced AutoLITT technology (Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy).
Team AutoLITT is a collaboration between Christian, the Wedgewood Hotel & Spa in Vancouver, and the Hotel sponsored Wedgewood Cycling Team to raise the necessary funds for the BC Cancer Foundation to acquire the AutoLITT technology.
“The Wedgewood Hotel has graciously agreed to match every dollar donated,” Christian explained. “As a group, this means we are looking to raise $175,000. People can donate to any rider on Team AutoLITT or even join us to raise funds for this very special cause.”
The team has gathered a collection of Pro Team Jerseys to use as fundraising incentives. These can be viewed on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TeamAutoLITT and includes gifts from GreenEDGE riders, 2012 Giro D’Italia Champion Ryder Hesjedal, BMC Racing Team, Team Sky’s Rigoberto Uran, Tour of California King of the Mountains Seb Selas and Captain America Dave Zabriskie.
There are a number of fundraising activities planned throughout the year in support of the Team, with several of the team riding the inaugural Prospera Valley Fondo on July 22nd in Fort Langley, BC.
For more information about how to join Team AutoLITT and fundraise with them or how to donate please contact Philip Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow Team AutoLITT on Twitter: @TeamAutoLITT
- Like Team AutoLITT on Facebook: www.facebook.com/TeamAutoLITT
- Learn more about Team AutoLITT: tinyurl.com/TeamAutoLITT
You Might Also Like
- Bike Infrastructure Update in Seattle: Seattle, Wash. - Today, Mayor McGinn delivered his fourth State of the City speech, and improving transit in Seattle was a major focus. Making it easier and safer for people to bike through Seattle, whether you’re 8 or 80, was a major focus. He...
- Tell the DOT that Every Bicyclist Counts: Transportation agencies across the country are about to miss an important opportunity to improve non-motorized traffic safety and encourage healthy and active transportation options. The US Department of Transportation is required by the new...
- Sad News - Jeremy Storie: It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Jeremy Storie. Jeremy was a key coach and leader in our cycling community. He helped build the dEVo youth program at its inception in 1999 and developed several National and International...
- Chroma Fab to Join Ethic Industries: Denver, Colo. - Following a couple years of business development, Chroma Fab world-class custom paint solutions will join Ethic Industries and Alchemy Bicycle Company as the newest brand in the Ethic Industries portfolio. Chroma Fab was conceived...