World Road Championships:Gillian Ellsay Finishes 8th in Time Trial
September 21, 2015
(Ottawa, ON – September 21, 2015) Gillian Ellsay of Victoria, BC was the top Canadian in the junior women individual time trial on Monday at the UCI Road World Championships in Richmond, Virginia.
Ellsay posted the eighth-fastest time of the day, completing the 15-km course in 22:03. Emiliah Harvey of Banff finished in the tenth position.
“In the starting gate I was really nervous, but once I took the first pedal stroke down the ramp, I relaxed a bit. The rough roads, wind and multiple turns made for a very fast race. I honestly don't really remember much about the race other than trying to put as much pain into my legs as possible in the last 5km. I'm very happy and proud of my result, but not yet satisfied and I'm hungry for more. A huge thanks to all the Cycling Canada staff and all the support from back home!” said Ellsay after the race.
The women’s team is led by coach Denise Kelly, who was evidently happy with the two Top-10 performances today: “Our goal was a top 10 finish for the junior girls so to have two to attain that was very inspiring for the future. The junior girls team has a great attitude to add to their solid World's preparation.”
The Americans dominated the event, nabbing the first two positions. Chloe Dygert won the rainbow jersey, finishing the course in 20:48.47, more than one minute over her teammate Emma White.
In the Men U23 individual time trial race, Sean Mackinnon of Hamilton, ON, finished as the Top Canadian taking the 20th position amongst the 50 starters. Mackinnon disputed the 29.9-km course with a time of 38.47.06. Alex Cataford of Ottawa, ON finished in 33th place with a time 39.28.10.
Tuesday, the junior men and elite women will tackle their individual time trial race, with two Canadians racing in each category. These World Championships in Richmond, Virginia, ends on Sunday.
RESULTS – INDIVIDUAL TIME TRIAL – JUNIOR WOMEN
1. DYGERT, Chloe (USA) 20:18.47
2. WHITE, Emma (USA) 21:24.00 +1:05.53
3. HULL, Anna-Leeza (AUS) 21:44.55 +1:26.08
4. MATHIESEN, Pernille (DEN) 21:48.88 +1:30.41
5. LABOUS Juliette (FRA) 21:54.43 +1:35.96
8. ELLSAY, Gillian (CAN) 22:03.64 +1:45.17
10. HARVIE, Emeliah (CAN) 22:07.98 +1:49.51
RESULTS – INDIVIDUAL TIME TRIAL – U23 MEN
1. SCHMIDT, Mads Wurtz (DEN) 37:10.96
2. SCHACHMANN, Maximilian (GER) 37:23.16 +12.20
3. KAMNA, Lennard (GER) 37:31.98 +21.02
4. KORSAETH, Truls Engen (NOR) 37:47.06 +36.10
5. DOULL, Owain (GBR) 37:47.21 +36.25
20. MACKINNON, Sean (CAN) 38:47.06 +1:36.10
33. CATAFORD, Alexander (CAN) 39:28.10 +2:17.14